Why eat an unhealthy burrito when you can get all the same flavors in a quick and healthy burrito bowl?!
With just a 10 minute cooking time, all of your taste buds will be satisfied with this recipe.
Take your taste buds on a spin around Mexico!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced & divided in half
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1 medium tomato seeded & diced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper seeded and minced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (according to package instructions)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked & shredded chicken
- 1 avocado peeled and sliced
- 1 lime sliced
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add half the diced onion and the pinto beans, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper and water. Sauté, slightly mashing the beans until the liquid is absorbed, (approximately 5 minutes).
- In a small bowl mix together tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, remaining diced onions, cilantro & lime juice. Set aside for later.
- Season brown rice with salt.
- Divide and layer brown rice, topped with cooked pinto beans, chicken, tomato mixture, sliced avocado and 1 slice of lime in 6 bowls.
* Cooking pinto beans- Add 1 lb (16 oz.) dry pinto beans to a big pot of 6 cups of boiling water. Boil on full heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover & let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans. Add 6 cups of fresh water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for one hour or until the beans are soft but not split. Makes 5 cups cooked beans. These beans can be used in any recipe calling for cooked or canned beans. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7 days or package in freezer bags in one cup increments for up to 6 months.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: